[FX.php List] economical starter plan

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 24 12:29:25 MST 2006

Hi Ian

Actually, I believe the "developers" license for FMSA (that Michael
mentions) is now only available to members of the FileMaker Solutions
Alliance.  With version 7 it came with FileMaker Developer, but they
changed that with the release of 8.

You say you already have FMP7.  I don't know if they even still sell
FileMaker 7 Developer anymore, but I'd recommend switching to
FileMaker 8 if you're going to do any upgrading at all.  It seems
like you should be able to upgrade to regular FMPro 8 and buy a
'Subscriber' membership to the FSA -- possibly for about the same
price as upgrading to FM7D.  This is a nice option, as you can
develop everything right on your own machine, and the set-up would be
pretty much like it would be on any client's full version of FMSA.
(Unless you're going to be hosting your own DBs &/or hosting DBs/
sites for clients, you might not ever need to purchase a full copy of
FMSA.)
http://www.filemaker.com/developers/compare.html

There's also a product called CafePHP that's supposed to allow people
to web publish from FileMaker Pro (without Server), but I don't know
more about it.
http://cafephp.com/

And of course, there are a number of good external FileMaker hosting
companies.

HTH,
-Joel

Joel Shapiro - FileMaker Pro Database Design
joelshapiro at jsfmp dot com
http://www.jsfmp.com
415-269-5055