[FX.php List] One Form/Different Privileges

Jonathan Schwartz jonathan at eschwartz.com
Mon Dec 25 08:49:56 MST 2006

Hi Folks,

I'm working on my first project where there will be multiple levels
of user and privileges to view and edit the same data set....and I'm
looking for advise on approach.

Big picture...is it better make one big very complicated php page,
covering all the combinations of privileges, or, create multiple
pages, each much more simple and modified for each particular
privilege set?

For reference, this is the Little League baseball registration
project.  Privileges would be:
	- Developer: view all/edit all
	- Admin1: View all/edit all
	- Commisioner: view subset of records(all players in 1 of 6
leagues)/ edit subset of fields
	- Coach: view subset of records (All players in one
team)/edit subset of fields
	- Team Parent : view subset of records (All players in one
team)/ edit subset of fields
	- Individual Parent: view single record (their child only)
/edit subset of fields.

So, it's a matrix.

I can easily show/restrict the records displayed using search
parameters.  It's the display/no display and edit/no edit choices
which are the challenge.

Another idea, build the master page in sections populated with
"includes" covering the various logical areas of data.  This way, the
choices would be limited to display or not display the section, in
two flavors: edit and no edit.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Jonathan