[FX.php List] Problem with embedding a PHP site inside a frame

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Dec 20 11:23:20 MST 2006

I've got a big site that I've just finished, which my client sells by
subscription to car dealers. The dealers all would prefer to "embed"
this site inside a frame on their site, rather than just linking to
this site.

When they do this, either inside a Flash page or a non-Flash page
that uses frames, I'm seeing that the cookie that needs to be written
is not being written. As a result, the site's inaccessible.

My theory has been that, because they're embedding my client's site
inside a frame, the PHP isn't loading first, and that's why the
cookie isn't being written.

Is this accurate? Is there any way that I can alter my page so that
the cookies are written properly, no matter whether my pages are
embedded in a parent page or not?

So far, I've been recommending that my client tell car dealers not to
use frames, but to instead load my client's site in a new fresh page,
thus ensuring that cookies get written properly.

Here's a 2nd theory: my client's site is only accessible when the
visitor arrives using a link from a "subscriber" site. The subscriber
puts a link on his site, which sends him to my client's site; at the
client site, the referer domain name is checked against a database of
subscribers, and access is either granted or denied. At this point a
cookie is written which gives subsequent access for the rest of the
pages.

Is it possible that, by embedding the client's site, this referer
data isn't retrieved properly? This too would cause the error, since
the domain name wouldn't be verified and approved.

For any who are interested, I'm quite proud of this site; a demo of
it is available at http://parrotmotors.advantastar.com. It's all
FX.php and a FM 8 database. The database references a directory of
pages which are loaded to display the appropriate data, depending on
the cars selected...

Thanks for any insights,

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING: