[FX.php List] RE: 5 minute timeout? Final Solution

David Ness dness at bondedbuilders.com
Wed Aug 30 09:13:05 MDT 2006

Final Solution Report

Problem: Microsoft's IIS v6 will force a cgi timeout after 5 minutes
when running PHP scripts in cgi mode regardless of php.ini settings.
There is no way within the IIS GUI interface to alter this behavior. The
problem exists in IIS v6 when running either PHP 4 or 5.

Solution: execute the following command from the command line on the IIS
server:

cscript.exe c:\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs set w3svc/cgitimeout
1800

Adjust the "1800" to equal the number of seconds you need. 1800 = 30
minutes. You'll still need to modify your php.ini settings to increase
the max_execution_time, etc., but just changing the php.ini file by
itself is not enough.

See the source of the solution here for more detailed information. This
link talks about the use of this solution for the proper running of a
program called "1-2-All", but the solution applies to any solutions
involving PHP scripts that need more than 5 minutes to fully execute
(under IIS v6 when running PHP in CGI mode).

http://www.activecampaign.com/support/forum/showthread.php?t=1253

The above solution references the need to set up a cron job & batch
file, supposedly to make certain this 'patch' reinstalls itself after
restarts & power failures. I'm not convinced of this need as the cscript
program appears to be altering the IIS metabase settings, and I would
not think that changes made to the metabase would be volatile. But I am
no expert on metabase changes or what the cscript.exe application
referenced above is actually altering.

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I've found additional information
here that might be helpful to anyone following in my footsteps.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/I
IS/1cc829e2-a9fe-4885-b0a5-43a6d14e1961.mspx

--
David Ness,
Database Systems Programmer

Bonded Builders Warranty Group