[FX.php List] Obscuring the recid on URL links

Erik Andreas Cayré erik at cayre.dk
Tue Aug 29 14:31:41 MDT 2006

Den 29/08/2006 kl. 21.45 skrev Jonathan Schwartz:

> Now...having written this out, you might be asking....as I am also
> asking myself right now...In Mode 2, where the user is an Admin and
> able to view all records anyway, then what is the need to obscure
> the recid in the first place?
>
> Honestly, I'm not sure now.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.
>
> So...maybe it is I that is confused. ;-)

Perhaps the question of trust is not only about user/admin, but also
about the access platform.
I personally trust my admin users to not do foolish things, as I'm
sure you do your admin users.

There is another point here which hasn't been touched upon yet:
accessing data using a webbrowser leaves a trail to which
unauthorised people may have access. In another post, someone noted
that GET requests are logged by the webserver. Access to the
webserver log can be a security issue.
The webbrowser itself has a history feature, which in many cases is
completely ignored by the user. And rightly so: the user of a web-
enabled application should not concern herself with security issues
beyond keeping her access credentials private.

Choosing a security level for an application is a lot like purchasing
an insurance policy. You have to balance the perceived threat vs the
cost of the security measure. I've read recently of highly publicised
thefts of laptop computers containing large databases of credit card
numbers. Those events illustrate how security is a complex multi-
dimensional issue. Having strong encryption on the website receiving
CC payments was not enough to protect the credit card holders...!

Back to Jons project.
Using sessions with a login mechanism should be enough for most
projects. The major point of using GET is as the name implies to get
something, ie reading data. It has the advantage of being
bookmarkable for later use. Any page on your site which should not
display sensitive data to unauthorised users can start with a check
to see the user is properly authorised. If not you have the user
login first. Like this, the aforementioned trail in the browser
history is of no concern, since it's worthless without a successful
login.

Of course, the login mechanism itself should use only POST, and if
you're really paranoid, you could consider using https for the login
page, so that the credentials are not sent in clear text between the
web browser and we server.

regards

---
Erik Andreas Cayré
Spangsbjerg Møllevej 169
DK-6705 Esbjerg Ø

Home Tel: +45 75150512
Mobile: +45 40161183

»If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.«
-- Albert Einstein

»If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do
it over?«
-- John Wooden, basketball coach