[FX.php List] Retrieving data from multiple layouts?

Derrick Fogle derrick at fogles.net
Mon Aug 28 07:08:02 MDT 2006

Putting all the fields that you do need on one layout, and calling it
once, should be much faster than multiple calls to multiple layouts.
The initial data return might take a lot longer, but 99% of  slowness
in FM-backed transactions is in FM feeding the data to PHP. Depending
on the hardware, there's probably at least a 1/2 second overhead for
even the smallest FMFind() call. More data slows it down more.
Depending on the amount of data, you might have to crank up your
timeout setting for PHP.

You can literally copy all the elements from all 7 layouts (if they
are all from the same DB) and paste the whole mess on a single
layout. Remove any fields, graphics, or anything else that isn't
absolutely necessary to deliver the data, from your super-layout.