[FX.php List] PHP installer solution movie and help guide setup php and cURL in 5 Minutes

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Tue Aug 22 12:22:33 MDT 2006

Ahem. FMI dumped CDML in favor of XSLT, not PHP. We're all here
because of Chris Hansen developed FX.PHP, which existed outside of
FMI's product direction for several years. Personally, I think FMI
made a mistake when they got behind XSLT instead of PHP. As for being
three years late, I think it's more like eight years late. If FMI had
a crystal ball, they would have adopted open-standards like PHP
instead of CDML way back with v4.

As for myself, I don't have any plans to stop using FX.PHP in favor
of the PHP API. I've already learned it "the hard way."

Mr. Hansen is tied in well with FMI, and I expect we'll see a lot of
cross-pollination between FX.PHP the PHP API. I also expect to see
FMI roll out APIs for other environments like .NET and Cold Fusion
and maybe Ruby. The PHP API, as I understand it, is just a fancy set
of class wrappers to query FMP and parse the resulting XML. Sounds to
me like a more user-friendly (more accurately, FMP-developer-
friendly) version of FX.PHP.

Wim DeCorte has already brought out a similar home-grown (like
FX.PHP) tool for using FMP as a .NET data source. Will FMI work with
him for a FMP .NET API, like they worked with Chris Hansen on the PHP
API? Who knows? In the final analysis, it's all about parsing XML and
shipping it to one of many environments.

I don't think any future APIs based on established standards  will
replace PHP; they will just be more tools we will have at our
disposal. CDML died because it was proprietary. XSLT support will not
die because of the PHP API. PHP support will not die because FMI
offers other APIs. Options are a good thing.

Who knows, maybe one of us will be famous one day for writing FX-for-
Ruby.

Dale