[FX.php List] Accessing a dynamic value list?

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Sun Aug 20 08:53:43 MDT 2006

> I did a test and while I did get the name of the value list, it was
> empty. I haven't found any specific info on this in the docs
> (didn't do a thorough search...)
>
> So it looks like you'll have to build it yourself, maybe like I
> suggested in my previous post:
>
> -find the records which your value list is based on
> -use array_unique() to strip the duplicates
>
> Another strategy could be to have a layout with a portal related to
> the table of car models by make.
> Then you could build your list for the web from the contents of
> that portal...

I wasn't aware of array_unique(); thanks for letting me know about that.

I went another route, which eliminated the need for a value list.
Here's what I was finding:

I have 19 fields, each of which holds approx. 1/2 page of HTML
coding. When I put all 19 on one layout, things were glacial; I was
going to split the 19 fields into separate records, thus making
to pull in the names of all the vehicles represented in these records.

I went a different route: I created 19 different layouts, each of
which holds 1 of the 19 fields. When the user makes a selection on
the site, a switch in the code determines which layout to pull from,
and the query goes to the appropriate layout to fetch the HTML code.
This is working great, has made a huge difference in the speed of the
queries, and I'm totally pleased with it.

In my searches last night I found an excellent method for pulling the
domain name from a URL, which I'm going to use for creating a user
log for this site. If anyone wants the code, let me know off-list; it
works great and is perfect for creating site logs.

Best,

bob at longtermsolutions.com