[FX.php List] Problem with different browser.

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Sun Aug 6 22:06:01 MDT 2006

On 7/8/06 1:30 PM, "FHASELTINE at aol.com" <FHASELTINE at aol.com> wrote:

> Erik,
> I use OS 10.4 on the Mac to do my development, and found that Window's
> browsers find my pages difficult. Usually they do not show anything on the
> page. This time I finally found a solution.
>
> I finally found a solution to the browser problem.   I was using a Java Script
> and the Firefox did not need the following coding before the end of the script
> '//-->'
> Putting that in fixed the problem.
> What is a puzzle to me is why and am I going to run into the difficulty with
> other browsers.

This is a complex topic. The answer to your question depends on many things.
But primarily, what - if any - doctype are you using on your pages? XHTML
doctypes don't require the combo JS-HTML comments ('//-->') that were common
a few years ago, and in fact some browsers will choke on them. My advice is
just don't use them.

By the way, if you didn't have the last comment code in place, as your post
suggests, but had the first one in, then in all likelihood your script was
not running at all, which might explain your experiences. Your code
basically had errors, and all browsers will handle those errors differently.
Rather than put the last one back in, take them both out - no browser since
NN2 has really needed them.

If you use no doctype, or an invalid doctype, IE6/Win will revert to quirks
mode, and all bets are off in terms of predicted behaviour (you'll get the
broken CSS box model, that much is certain).

Web development is a complex field, even without FileMaker, FX and PHP. You
really need to come to terms with how your code works, and how different
browsers (mainly IE6 actually) will parse and render it.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies.  The College does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the College.