[FX.php List] Persistent (outdated) Data Disply

Derrick Fogle derrick at fogles.net
Tue Aug 1 07:53:30 MDT 2006

Your problem has already been solved using PHP's header() function,
but I thought I should answer this question anyway, just to expose
how moronic my coding was a few years ago...

I just picked a 'throwaway' character (the 'u') to use as a name for
the timestamp value; then all my hyperlinks had something like this:

Text</a>

... and all my forms had this:

<input type="hidden" name="u" value="<?= mktime() ?>">

My actual implementation of this was a little more sophisticated than
what you see here - I was using the script to collect and then
generate all the name/value pairs dynamically, and then outputting
the whole name/value pair string in the URL, so the structure was
always correct no matter what. This worked for pretty much every
browser, because they all realized it was always a "new" URL, so it
never pulled anything from cache. Pretty dorky compared to using
header() functions, eh?

On Jul 31, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:

> Hmmm. How is that done?
>

> At 1:23 PM -0500 7/31/06, Derrick Fogle wrote:
>> At one point, I ended up always attaching a timestamp generated at
>> page load to any URLs or post data
>>
>> On Jul 31, 2006, at 1:16 PM, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:
>>
>>> I am wrestling with the problem of Safari not reporting the
>>> correct recently update current values that exist in FMP.

Derrick Fogle
derrick at fogles.net