[FX.php List] Printing under FMSA8

Steve Winter steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz
Mon Apr 24 18:46:28 MDT 2006

Hi,

I'm part way through migrating a large education programme from FMU 6 to
FMSA 8, and am finding many things much easier to manage...love that you can
pass parameters when you call a remote script...!!!

One thing that I'm currently stuck on is printing...this is how it used to
be in the old system;

We had FMS running on one box, FMU on another
The FMU box is connected to a DataCard printer. One of the FM layouts has
the encoding font on it to encode data onto the magnetic stripe of one of a
'credit card' style plastic card, which the DataCard printer produces
The students would arrive at the programme. One of the educators would use a
web based form, talking to FMU to register each group of students. The
submission to the database of that data also ran a very simple script which
printed that data, and created the cards for the students.

All very nice and simple...a while the rest of the introduction went on the
printer would process the cards, by the time the kids were ready to get
started there was a nice pile of 30 cards waiting for them, much excitement
all round...!!

The problem comes in migrating this to FM8. I still need the educator to be
using a web form to register the groups but FMA8 is telling me that the
'print' function is not 'web compatible'...

I guess I could get another FMP box, connect the printer to that, open the
database, then periodically run a script to check to see if there were any
unprinted cards and process them from there, but this seems like yet another
FMU license, and yet more hardware to do something that used to be very
simple...!

Anyone got any other ideas of how I might get around this...?

Cheers
Steve