[FX.php List] Development under FM8

Steve Winter steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz
Mon Apr 17 18:18:50 MDT 2006

Hi,

I think I've just discovered something which many of you already knew, and
it's not making me very happy, so I hope I'm wrong, and just missing
something...

I'm about to start the process of migrating a large system to FM8. We've
purchased our various copies, FMP, FMD (well actually FMA I guess) and
FMSA. I've got as far as setting up FMD on my laptop, and having a play...
(we're still just waiting for the hardware that FMSA will be installed on
to be delivered...)

This solution has a substantial custom web publishing component, which I'm
going to need to convert from CDML to use FX.php...

In my initial exploration this morning I think I've discovered that there
is no way to test/develop custom web content using FX.php without FMSA...??

Please tell me I'm wrong...?

I travel a lot of the time with my work, and am used to having a complete
setup on my laptop (Apache, php, FMD, web companion) which enable me to
test and develop content where ever I am, then upload to the appropriate
server...it seems that this isn't now going to be possible...?

Could I bite a very expensive bullet and install FMSA and FMD on my
laptop simultaneously...?? Mind you, I think I'm going to
need another FMSA license anyway by the loos, and more hardware, so I can
set up a development server... not so happy about that at $1,800 NZD for
the software alone...!!

How are others handling this new situation...?

Cheers
Steve