[FX.php List] FX.php and SQL queries against FMSA 8

John Phillip Barclay jbarclay at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 4 17:25:02 MDT 2006

My understanding is the FX.php is designed to avoid the Filemaker ODBC
by using the XML/Web publishing interface for filemaker.  I tried using
the PHP ODBC class
(http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.odbc-execute.php) on a recent
project to connect to FMP in PHP and found the following limitations:

- documentation was incomplete
- buggy behaviour. This could be on the php or fmp odbc side as I never
bothered to pin it down.
- slow performance.  Oh it was terrible.
- lack of a user community.  Not much dialog or documentation on odbc
and filemaker.

After switching to FX.php I found performance to be quicker and haven't
found any bugs besides working with portals.  It seems that Filemaker
isn't really designed for ODBC.  The documentation is good and along
with this listserve and Google have answered all my questions thus far.

PEAR:DB supports many popular databases, but not Filemaker.  My guess is
that is because of the ODBC limitations of filemaker and the success of
FX.php.  I'm not sure if there is much motivation to adapt it form
filemaker.

John Barclay , Champaign, Illinois, U.S.