[FX.php List] RE: Performance issues with FM's xml interface

Dennis Crall dennis-crall at uiowa.edu
Thu Sep 29 08:01:54 MDT 2005

Thanks for your note, Tony. However, I¹m not convinced the number of fields
was a key factor. Obviously, if you request less data, a request should
return more quickly, but that doesn¹t tell the whole story. We tried
simplifying our layout in a number of ways (e.g. removing related fields,
calculations, etc), and we saw no performance improvement until we removed
the container fields from the layout. As soon as the containers were gone,
the response time went from over a minute to 1 or 2 seconds.

That seems like a stiff performance penalty for fields that should only be
returning a calculated url. We have also noticed slowness while fetching the
image data as well. This  points to a problem in the XML interface, and
hopefully it will be addressed in FM8SA.

Denny