[FX.php List] calling scripts from FX help

Greg Lane glane at moyergroup.com
Fri Oct 21 11:05:33 MDT 2005

The plug-in SDK does allow for plug-ins on the server. I don't know
what the limitations are with server plug-ins, but it could be worth
exploring.

Another option would be to use the ODBC/JDBC interface. According to
the FileMaker ODBC/JDBC Developer's Guide (p 28), you can retrieve
the contents of a container field with something like:

     SELECT GetAs(Company_Logo, 'JPEG') FROM Sales_Data

The tricky part is to get PHP working with the ODBC drivers. I've had
success on Windows but my initial efforts failed on OS X.

An ugly workaround would be to have a dedicated machine with FMP
running a looping script that continually looks for flagged records
and when it finds a flagged record, it exports the field contents,
does an scp to copy the file to your webserver, and then clears the
flag. Then your PHP script just has to set the flag in the
appropriate record and wait for the file to appear. This approach can
be used for a lot of different things, but it can be fragile. You
could always have your PHP script send an email to you if the file
doesn't appear in a reasonable amount of time. Then you can fix the
FMP machine before the users start calling. :)

Greg