[FX.php List] Stopping the back button on the browser

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Thu Oct 13 16:30:16 MDT 2005

On 14/10/05 5:45 AM, "Glenn Singleton" <glenn at thesingletons.id.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to stop people filling in data entry, then trying to correct
> it by pressing the back button on the browser, rather than my "Edit"
> button.
>
> I think I do this with headers but can anyone offer some snippets of
> code ?
>
> Thanks
> Glenn
> www.infocntr.net

The simplest way to do this is to simply open the next page in a new window
- it then has no history for the back button to effect. The downside is that
this can be confusing for inexpert users and is generally a poor usability
practice. However, a "greyed out" back button due to a new window is
probably preferable to one on the existing window that looks functional, but
in fact due to scripting, is not.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College