[FX.php List] Visual cue when processing a long, multi-record edit request?

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Wed Oct 12 17:10:03 MDT 2005

On 13/10/05 8:29 AM, "Steve Winter" <steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz> wrote:

> Joel,
>
> It seems that you're happy using Javascript, so there are a couple of
> options which spring to mind just now.
>   1. Place the form that users fill in inside a <div> tag which has an id,
> associated with it.  Place a 'processing' graphic inside another <div>
> (with id) which usually has 'display' set to none.  When the user clicks
> your submit button, run a short piece of javascript, which sets the
> content <div> to display: none, and the 'processing' <div> to display.
> Then when the process finishes and the next page loads it clears.
>   2. Use javascript to open another small window, placed in the center of
> the users screen when they submit the form. put some sort of loading
> graphic in there. When the next page loads, have further javascript inside
> there that closes that window donw.
>
> Let me know if you want more details about either of these ideas...I'm
> also sure other people will have other suggestions too ;-)
>
> Cheers
> Steve

I'd advise you go for the first option, as it's more accessible (provided
you use text for "Processing" instead of an image), and won't run afoul of
errant popup blockers or confuse screenreaders like the second. I use this
approach all the time for hiding and displaying error messages.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College