[FX.php List] MacRoman extended characters

Marisa Smith marisa at datasmithconsulting.net
Mon Oct 10 10:56:50 MDT 2005

Dennis - would you mind giving more details about how you did this?  I just
spent 2 hours working on the exact same problem as Kevin and have yet to
figure it out.  I tried changing the character set to UTF-8 on the page,
which helped - the data is now written back to the database, whereas before
none of the data in the form would get written back.

Now, if I display the data stored in the field it works fine --EXCEPT if I
try to display it in a textarea form field.  In this case, it displays
’ in the form field among the rest of the field contents, and if I
then submit the form again, and look in the database, the ’ is stored
in the field instead of the curly apostrophe.

Are you encoding/decoding the data before you POST it back to the database?
If so, would you mind posting a snippet of your code?  I must be missing
something simple.

Thanks!
Marisa