[FX.php List] General Optimization Techniques

Michael Layne fx at 9degrees.com
Fri Oct 7 07:23:29 MDT 2005

Scott,

I posted this within the last couple of weeks, but it is universal to
FX (I think...)

When building solutions via XML (FX.php) for the web, I always take
the following steps:

- create a separate layout for anything that is called via XML.
- only place pertinent, necessary fields in the layout.  related
fields are fine, but use only what you need...  you want it
practically naked, it's so spartan.
     (* remember, if you have related fields that are not always a
'valid' relationship, place them in portals)
- summary fields slow things down, as well as anything that slows
down FMP.  It's hard if you have a primarily FMP client based
solution, but I usually try to do all logic, calculations, etc within
PHP.  When it comes to the web, it helps to think of FMP as a place
to store data whenever you can.  I start that way, then add the
necessary FMP functionality.

I have had considerable success sticking to these guidelines.

HTH,

Michael