[FX.php List] Anyone know how to escape characters?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue May 17 16:58:54 MDT 2005

Chris Hansen wrote:
> Although it's true that (1) the form method has no bearing on how data
> is submitted to FileMaker via FX.php, and (2) FX.php sends its data via
> GET by default; it is possible (and fairly simple) to tell FX to use
> POST to communicate with FileMaker instead.

I've noticed that using the January 25 release, it seems to be
defaulting to POST. Is this unintentional?

FX::ClearAllParams() sets $this->isPostQuery = true; this is called from
the constructor and again in FX::SetDBData(). I have to explicitly turn
it off to use GETs.

> Speaking of this, I'm presently working on the next release of FX.php.
> I have been wondering if I shouldn't change the default behavior so that
> FX.php uses POST by to communicate by FileMaker unless otherwise
> configured.  Does anyone see any reason that I shouldn't do this?  Any
> strong opinions one way or the other?

We're migrating our from FileMaker 5.5 to 7 Advanced Server. Among other
things, we've got a web page database where some records may be on the
order of 40-60kb. I've found that with 7, doing finds via POST is
sometimes much, much slower than the same find over GET.

As far as I can see, finds gotten over GET are being cached somehow but
POSTs cause it to start over. This can make the difference between a
3000ms fetch and a 250ms fetch, which is kind of depressing for a find
on an indexed serial number field that returns one record. :)

(The same fetches on 5.5 take about 1000ms either way, on a much slower
machine.)

Maybe I've just got a weird freak setup, but it's something you might
want to check... My general inclination is that GET is usually the right
thing to use for finds, and POST should *always* be used when making edits.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / vibber @ usc.edu)
www.scec.org -- Southern California Earthquake Center