[FX.php List] SQL Background - what is this FMP thing?

Dave Strickler dstrickler at mailwise.com
Thu Jun 30 13:36:37 MDT 2005

I can't recommend any books, but if it helps ease your frustration, FileMaker is a great database back-end (and yes, I have programmed professionally for 20 years, most recently focusing on Postgres and PHP) for a Mac/Win client or Web client. Its an RAD tool that let to take your prototype and make it 'live' in record time. I have never seen anything quite like it.

That being said, unless you are an XML guru, you'll want to use fx.php's Class to access FileMaker from PHP. Once you get your DBs, Layouts (think: Form), etc defined, fx.php is fast and efficient.

We use our large (many millions of records) databases with Postgres, but our CRM system (with about a million records) runs in FileMaker, 24x7, flawlessly. Our last run was almost 5 years, with only 30 minutes of quarterly maintenance, and not a single problem. Even Postgres would be impressed with those numbers ;-)

Dave Strickler
MailWise LLC
617 267-0044 x810
www.mailwise.com

>>> ismith at MIT.EDU 3:08:00 PM Thursday, June 30, 2005 >>>
My background is all in relatively traditionally structured databases
- MySQL, Postgres, and so on. FileMaker's paradigm is confusing the
heck out of me, and I haven't been able to find all that much
documentation that suits my needs. I'm looking for something that
will assume a knowledge of web development, database use, etc.

Any recommendations?

Ian Smith
ismith at mit.edu