[FX.php List] Re:FMNew creation through a relationship

Adam Gamble adamgamble at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 13:41:09 MDT 2005

So with a portal I'll be able to create new records? I'll need the record through the portal to have the id of my original table? Is it possible to automatically do that or would it still have to be 2 queries?

Adam,

Thanks for the kudos =)

It's very likely that you're running into a FileMaker 7 bug.
Basically, Server Advanced has a problem with a related field on a
layout if the related record doesn't exist.  (I'm guessing this would
always be the case when creating a record, since FileMaker doesn't know
if there are any related records until the create it committed.)

At any rate, the workaround is to place all related fields on web
layouts into portals.  A one row portal is fine.  For whatever reason,
this makes things work.  Let me know if this doesn't solve your issue.
Best,

--Chris Hansen
   creator of FX.php
   "The best way from FileMaker to the Web."
   www.iViking.org