[FX.php List] Slightly confused and need a push, please

Derek Bastille bastille at arsc.edu
Thu Jun 9 13:01:04 MDT 2005

Hi John,
   Thanks for the suggestion.  It is similar to one of the possibilities
I was considering:
- the daily job files get rolled up on the main systems
- a cron job then copies the job files to the FMPro server system via
scp
- another cron job on the server fires to convert the files and feed
them to FMPro

   This could work, but the timing of the two scripts can be a problem.
That is, I've had problems in the past where the Cray's job accounting
scripts got delayed past when the transfer was supposed to happen and
my scripts have missed/duplicated the usage data.  So basically, I'd
like the import to be a push process where each of the other systems
formats the data and submits it to a URL on the FileMaker server.  This
way there is only one timed script to worry about.
   That's why I'm looking in to a way to build a post to FX.php or
directly to server advanced.  On the other hand, though, it seems like
your solution would allow me to import a whole job file (typically
consisting of 100 to 200 job records) instead of feeding the database
one record at a time.  Hmmm...

Regards,
   Derek

On Jun 8, 2005, at 10:01 PM, Johan Visser wrote:

> Derek,
>
> I.o. XML formatting the file, did you consider FTP-ing the unaltered
> usage
> file from the Unix machine with FTPit and process it with Troi-File.
> That's how I normally process transaction files.
>
> Johan Visser
> BPA Services

                         Derek Bastille | Phone: (907)450-8643
     PO Box 756020, Fairbanks AK, 99775 | Fax:   (907)450-8601
    Arctic Region Supercomputing Center | email: bastille at arsc.edu
User Services Consultant/ISSO-Accounts |        fndlb at uaf.edu
      PGP public key: http://www.arsc.edu/~bastille/dereksKey.txt