[FX.php List] Multiple find requests

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Jan 20 08:34:21 MST 2005

Kevin Drennan wrote:
> To paraphrase the query I'm looking for all records in my
> table where program_name = 'Math 101' AND advisor_1 = 'John Doe' OR
> advisor_2 = 'Jane Smith'

At least in 5.5/6 this seems to not be possible directly. What I ended
up doing when I needed this was to to pull *all* the records (caching
them in a file), then filter them with the complex boolean expression
in PHP.

Depending on the number of records and how up to date the data has to
be, this may or may not be acceptable to you.

Dennis Crall wrote:
> Now, I am wondering if anyone has used an ODBC connection in PHP to
> connect
> to FileMaker. We're considering a hybrid solution where the site is
> primarily driven by FX except for the one query that needs multiple
> operators.

Don't know about ODBC, but the JDBC driver definitely doesn't allow
this (it works over the XML interface and thus has the same
limitations) and 5.5/6 doesn't have an ODBC server plug-in of its own.
There may be improvements in 7 that I'm not aware of, though, or a
third-party plug-in may provide it.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)