[FX.php List] TIP: optimize Macintosh Filemaker Pro for web serving

DC dan.cynosure at dbmscan.com
Mon Jan 10 08:14:15 MST 2005

I noticed that my Apple G5 processor benefits (several percentage points
of CPU usage as reported by top -au) when filemaker pro is hidden.

So, I wrote a little applescript/osascript to be a cron job and grab
that little piece of processor back (but only if the screensaver is on):

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to set process_flag to
(exists process "ScreenSaverEngine")' -e 'if process_flag then tell
application "System Events" to set visible of process "Filemaker Pro" to
false'

paste this into a text editor and take out the word wraps and such that
the email clients put in. then drop it into the crontab (i use cronnix
but cronnix doesn't seem to support @reboot crontab entry) of the user
who runs your filemaker install and set it to recur every hour or so or
maybe just once a day or on reboot (depending on how often filemaker
becomes unhidden).

You could probably adapt this to any processor hoggin' app on your Mac
system.

enjoy.
dan