[FX.php List] ascii octal 20 in field causes CWP not to return data?

DC dan.cynosure at dbmscan.com
Fri Feb 25 17:22:40 MST 2005

I just caught a nasty one.

FMP 6.0.4
MacOSX.3.8
FX.php

FX.php returned no data and no result from the Find command which was
showing 45 records found when I looked at FMP via timbuktu.

So the find was going fine up until the point where FMP started piping
it back to CWP and FX.php.

I knew one of the records must have had some character in it that was
causing either CWP or FX.php to choke and not return any data.

I found it eventually:

One field in the db had the ascii 20 character in it.

Anyone else seen this problem? Has it been fixed in CWP or FX.php?

I don't have extensive testing yet, but thought I'd pipe up to let y'all
know that ascii octal 20 will break a CWP db.

If you want to test it, you can generate an ascii octal 20 by using this
terminal.app command (in Mac OSX - but it should work on any unix flava):

echo x | tr x \\020

in OSX you can add pbcopy to the end of that pipe to get it into the
clipboard.

echo x | tr x \\020 | pbcopy

and the command

pbpaste | sed l

will show you what you've got in your clipboard.

dan