[FX.php List] FileMaker 7/8 and PHP WITHOUT FX.php?

DC dan.cynosure at dbmscan.com
Fri Dec 2 13:11:18 MST 2005

And for your own sake in convincing your PHP developers, when it comes
time to demo FMP on the web with FX.php, please create a *streamlined*
layout that has only the fields you need for a particular task - and no
container fields!

If you use a layout with too many fields filemaker goes REALLY SLOW. And
PHP will have to parse a bunch of stuff it throws away. And nobody will
come away impressed.

FX.php is a godsend to Filemaker people and PHP people. It just doesn't
make any sense to deal with XML right out of FMP - in addition, if you
don't use FX.php you will have to use FMP's ugly URL syntax for
specifying queries. I know everyone here prefers the nice set of FX.php
functions to help them create the FMP-required weird URLs.

The thing about using the Filemaker UI for local data entry and
management is spot on and probably your trump card. Don't let the
developers tell you they will give you web pages that recreate the tasks
you do locally - it's hogwash if they do - Filemaker layout mode rules.

Since you mentioned CDML why don't you check out my pages on the Smarty
wiki about my Filemaker PHP experience and a CDML plugin I wrote for
Smarty.

http://smarty.incutio.com/?page=SmartyFilemakerPro

If you are using FMP6 my writeup shows how you can even call your old
CDML templates directly from PHP! Basically, you just manage your CDML
templates via and write them on the fly to the disk in a place where FMP
can see them, then call the CDML page. Viola! Embedded CDML. But only
try to do this if you are on FMP6 and have a ton of good CDML
(oxymoron?) you don't want to waste.

What about Instant Web Publishing (IWP)? If you are using FMP7 then it
can be pretty decent for some things.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

dc

Elleni B Fellows had written: