[FX.php List] FileMaker 7/8 and PHP WITHOUT FX.php?

Matt Simpson matt.simpson at queensu.ca
Fri Dec 2 07:11:04 MST 2005

Hey Elleni,

I'm a pretty experienced PHP developer and I use many different
databases (PostGreSQL, MySQL, Oracle and FileMaker). Each database has
it's uses and target audience, and I understand why your lead developer
may not like FileMaker... because it's different and definitely not
targetted at database developers.

Your developers have two paths ahead of them, tell them to pick their
poison wisely:

1) If your lead developer doesn't want to use FX.php then not only does
he/she have a sick amount of work ahead of him but he probably will not
succeed in the project, plus he/she will end-up hating FileMaker even more.

2) If your lead developer says "fine, we'll use FX.php"; he uses it,
makes your web-application work in a day or two and will end-up being
impartial towards FileMaker in your environment.

You will not likely get a developer to love FileMaker after they use
PostGreSQL, MySQL, etc. They don't really compare in speed and function,
but that doesn't mean that FileMaker is useless to them. It keeps you
happy and saves them a silly amount of time for interface design. I can
bang out a fairly complex database with interface in a few hours using
FileMaker and everyone's happy. The equivilant in PHP / MySQL would take
at least a few days by the time all is said and done, albeit the PHP /
MySQL solution would be way faster and suitable for a busy site.

Tell them not to hate on FileMaker. Yes it's quirky, but once you
understand it how it works (don't eve try to understand why it works)
it's a fast solution to get something done you otherwise wouldn't have
time to do.

Best Regards,
Matt Simpson
Web Developer